Ground breaking news is that up until about a year ago I couldn’t curl my hair. I found curling irons scary and way above my very limited hairstyling abilities. If you feel intimidated by curling irons like I did I highly recommend a conical wand (one without a clamp) because they’re very easy to use. I have, and love, the MUK Curling Stick which comes with 3 different wands. The one I’m using today is the 25mm wand. 1. First off you want to do is prep your hair. For me, this includes brushing my locks out using the Tangle Teezer because my hair is super knotty after a washing and you really need knot free hair when curling it.
2. Whether blow-drying or working with dry hair applying some of the Fudge Push-It Blow Dry Spray will give lots of extra oomph throughout the roots. Spritz generously throughout the roots and then work into the hair with your fingers. This stuff gives volume without any sort of funny residue throughout your hair – win!
3. Apply a heat protectant!!! Anything you can do to protect your hair from heat styling is so worth it in the long run. I use and recommend the Lee Stafford Poker Straight Flat Iron Protectant. Best mist ever!
4. Now you’re ready to start curling your hair and honestly I don’t do anything fancy in terms of sectioning the hair. I literally pick up random sections and wrap them around my wand holding for about 30 seconds. Make sure you curl away from the face because that’s so much more flattering and creates more volume. I find it easier to do one side of my hair at a time over doing it in layers. This way I get more of an undone look but play around until you find what works best for you and your hair.
5. Next you want to grab a texturising spray because it’s going to take your curls to the next level. I use and absolutely adore the L’oreal Wild Stylers by Tecni.Art Next Day Hair. Spray upwards and work into the hair by scrunching to create more volume. Another product I sometimes use after, especially on freshly washed hair, is the Fudge Elevate Styling Powder. If you feel as though your roots are still looking flat then sprinkle some of this throughout the roots and work in with fingers. It gives you instant BIG hair.
6. If you feel like you need to touch up any bits that you may have missed with the curls iron particularly in the top layers and round the face (I always miss some of the top layers!). Play around with finger combing out the curls, breaking them up makes it look more natural… In a ‘i-woke-up-like-this’ way. If you feel like you need to pin some bits back around the face the Lady Jayne Bobby Pins are super strong and will stay in place all day.
SHOP THE POST
What do you think of this hairstyle?
*products in this post may have been provided for consideration. For more information please view our disclaimer.
I'm a retail manager by day and a blogger by night aiming to bring you the newest beauty, fashion and lifestyle news. More Than Adored was created to help beauty lovers, like myself, make informed decisions when it comes to buying new goodies.